Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Spirit of Christ in Christmas

When my boys were young, I wanted, as a Christian mom, to inform and teach them about the true meaning of Christmas.  I struggled with that, also, every year, because we all got caught up with Santa Claus, baking Christmas cookies, shopping for presents, and the many social and family events we had to go to.
I often wonder if I did Christ's birth justice as the forefront in my children's lives, and I think I did the best I
could, especially with what I knew then.

If I were to redo my moments raising my sons, at Christmas time, here is what I would do different, in order for them to see the spirit of Christ in Christmas:
1)  I would read the Christmas story from the Bible to them aloud and we would talk about it more.
2)  I would have my boys illustrate and draw what they thought the manger scene looked like when Jesus was born.
3)  I would sing in the choir or act in a drama for Christmas and let my boys see my delight in that.
4)  I would take them to see a live nativity scene, and we would talk about Jesus, our King and Savior, being born that way.
5)  I would volunteer in a soup kitchen, or something like that at Christmas time and not tell a single soul to gloat.
6)  I would express my joy more often as the season's expressions of giving is displayed by others.
7)  I would have given more to the Salvation Army's bell ringer's pots, and let my boys do the same.
8)  I would sit for a peaceful and quiet time each night in front of our Christmas tree lit and express what I am grateful for that the Lord has done for me and my family.
9)  I would not race around and bite my family's heads off (so to speak) when I felt like I was running out of time and money during the season.  In other words, I would think out more of the time and I would spend less...a whole lot less.
10)  I would pray more with my boys and I would pray more by myself.  I would devote more time to God.

I did ask one of my sons to look at this list before I publish it to the blog to see what he thought.
Here is what he said:
"Mom, I really feel you did a lot of what you listed.  I know Christ was born on earth for all of us, and that we celebrate his birth on December 25th.  I also know you brought this up to us more than at Christmas time.  I think you did a pretty good job, as our mom.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  I get it. I think we both do."

After he said that, I just felt like "wow" and I removed myself from the room where he was standing, went into my bedroom, fell to my knees, and thanked the Lord for that affirming moment with my son.  And, I also thanked God, for sending his son, to live on this earth, for me, for you, for the world, as he did so many sacrifices on our behalves, in order that we all can have eternal life after we die.

Enjoy this Christmas season.  Enjoy it and don't take a moment for granted.

Love and Peace to You All,
Debbie Kemp

No comments:

Post a Comment